Getting Your OSHA Card

CareerSafe is an OSHA-Authorized Online Training Provider, which means every student who successfully completes a CareerSafe Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) course will receive an official Department of Labor OSHA card.

CareerSafe offers OSHA 10-Hour Construction, OSHA 10-Hour General Industry, and OSHA 30-Hour Construction courses available online.
Original OSHA Cards

Most OSHA cards are shipped within two business days of course completion

  • If more than 30 days have passed since you completed your course, contact Customer Care for help with tracking your delivery. 

The address where a card is shipped is determined by the purchaser: 

  • If you purchased and completed the course yourself, the card will be mailed via USPS First Class to the Shipping Address saved in your User Properties. 
  • If you completed a course that someone else purchased for you, your card will be mailed to your instructor. 
  • If you purchased a course for someone else (like a student), the card will be mailed to the Shipping Address saved in your (the instructor’s) User Properties.

If you've lost your card or need a name change, refer to the Replacement OSHA Cards section below.

Course Completion Certificates

Once you have completed your OSHA course, you’ll have immediate access to the Course Completion Certificate and a PDF version will be emailed to you automatically. While this certificate of completion is not an officially recognized document, many organizations and employers will consider it valid until you receive your card.

To Print Your Certificate:

  1. Navigate to the CareerSafe Campus and sign in.
  2. In the “Courses I Am Taking” section, select the course for which you would like to print a certificate.
  3. Click the Certificate button to the right of the course status.
  4. From there, you can view and print your Course Completion Certificate.

Note: If you are unable to access the Certificate button, you may have additional course requirements to complete (most often this is because you haven’t met the minimum required seat time or haven’t submitted the required Course Survey).

Replacement OSHA Cards
OSHA guidelines allow one reprint of your OSHA card. You can request a replacement if:

  1. Your original card was lost, damaged, or stolen.
  2. You need to request a name change because the name printed on your card was misspelled or your legal name has changed.
Some things to note:

  • If an OSHA 10-Hour/30-Hour Outreach Card is destroyed, stolen, or otherwise lost, you may purchase a Replacement Card for a fee. See instructions below on how to request a Replacement Card. 
  • You are allotted one Replacement Card per OSHA card. For example, a student can get a both reprint their OSHA 10-Hour Construction card and a reprint of their OSHA 10-Hour General Industry card.
  • The Replacement Card will be sent via USPS with tracking and will count as the single Replacement Card allowed by OSHA regulations. The Replacement Card will be sent to the Shipping Address provided during the checkout process.
  • A Replacement Card for a misspelled student name or a legal name change does not count against the single replacement card allowance, but does require you to pay the replacement card fee. If you need to request a name change, please contact Customer Care.
  • Per OSHA regulations, a reprint cannot be issued if the original course completion date is more than five (5) years from the reprint request date. If it has been greater than five years, the student must retake the OSHA course to obtain a new OSHA card.
  • For more information regarding OSHA regulations, refer to the OSHA Outreach Training Program FAQs.

Requesting a Replacement Card for Yourself
  1. Navigate to the CareerSafe Campus and sign in.
  2. Click Account Info.
  3. Click Transcript.
  4. Choose the name of the OSHA course for which you would like to order a reprint.
  5. Click the Request Reprint link.
    Course Transcript (screenshot)
Requesting a Replacement Card for a Student
Replacement cards can be ordered by an instructor or administrator on a student’s behalf.

  1. Navigate to the CareerSafe Campus and sign in using your own credentials.
  2. Click the Teacher Tools link from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
  3. Click the Request Replacement Cards tab near the top of the page.
    Request Replacement Cards (screenshot)
  4. In the Eligible Students table, select the box next to the name of the student needing a replacement card.

    Note: You may select more than one student at a time.

  5. Click the Request Replacement Cards button beneath the table.
  6. Follow the instructions provided for the remaining steps of the checkout process.